It is Black Cat Day in the United Kingdom.
Such a wonderful idea to raise awareness of these beautiful creatures.
Here is some information about black cats that you might not know (and may help you love them even more):
- King Charles I of England believed that black cats were lucky, and he had one. He believed that if anything happened to his cat his kingdom would collapse. Interestingly the day after the cat died the king was arrested.
- Black cat is not a breed, just a color.
- There are 22 breeds of cat that can be black.
- Bombay cats are the only pedigree breed that is exclusively black.
- Black cats have yellow or green eyes as a result of a special gene they have.
- Freyja, the Norse goddess of love and beauty had a chariot pulled by 2 black cats.
- The ancient Egyptians worshipped black cats. They believed they brought luck.
- Fishermen and their wives used to keep black cats to bring luck.
- There is a cat cafe in Japan devoted just to black cats.
- In Japan a black cat is thought to bring good luck to single women hoping to find a partner.
Like a little black dress, black cats go with everything. They are stylish, sophisticated, fun and just like any other cat. Just not with the fur that shows on your clothes (and yes, this is a real problem with white cats……). So why not go out in support of UK feline lovers and adopt a black cat today?